Like I said at the onset of this blog, I can't promise posts with any regularity. Just in case you thought I was joking, well, check the date of my last post. Embarrassing!! I have plenty of excuses - new job, new responsibilities, less free time, yadda yadda.
Anyway, inspired by my dear friend GardenMom, who is aspiring to do a post every day this summer, I thought I could get off my derriere and do at least one! I have a great post in the making about building raised garden beds this summer (yet another project occupying my time), but for now, here's a sneak peak:
I adapted a recipe I found here at a now-retired blog called Rising to the Challenge. She calls this Wholemeal Rhubarb Banana Walnut bread. I believe in the states, we'd call it whole-wheat instead of wholemeal, but don't quote me on that. I used her recipe as the base, but made substitutions to make it gluten-free. It also turned out to be vegan due to a lack of eggs in our house. Our co-op delivery, which includes eggs, is only two days away; buying commercial eggs just seemed silly.
Gluten-Free, Vegan Rhubarb-Banana Muffins
Ingredients:* 2 cups Jule's Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour or any other all-purpose mix that already includes xantham
* 1 cup buckwheat flour and 1 tsp xantham gum
* 1/4 cup almond meal
* 2 tablespoon flax meal mixed with 6 tablespoon water (soak for 5 minutes until somewhat gelatinous)
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 4 mashed bananas
* 1/4 cup almond milk
* 3/4 cup coconut oil
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon allspice
* 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (actually, I misread the ingredients and dumped in 1/2 teaspoon, but you can go with 1/4)
* sprinkle of ground ginger
* 2 teaspoons vanilla
* 2 1/2 cups diced rhubarb (I was heavy-handed on the rhubarb... may have been closer to 3 cups)
* 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease two muffin tins.2. Mix together the flours, almond meal, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and ginger in a medium bowl.
3. Mix together the mashed banana, flax mixture, milk, brown sugar, oil and vanilla until fluffy.
4. Add the flour mixture to wet mixture and blend well.
5. Clean and dice fresh rhubarb.
6. Stir in the diced rhubarb and walnuts.
What's your favorite way to use rhubarb??